Tuesday 23 April 2013

Things that make me go ooh!


T- 6: Time for a pep talk 



I first started reporting on Solar Impulse a year ago now - and when I did, dinner party chatter amongst friends soon turned to whether I’d long concealed an avid interest in aviation. Whether a calling to save the planet had manifested itself in my latest, and admittedly curious, career move. Or was it just that I’d always harbored a deep (deep) seated lust for engineers?

I replied honestly then, and I’ll admit it readily now:

It’s NONE of the above.

I do care about planes. I care whether they're inexpensive and get me from a to b on time. I do recycle. I do it because it makes me feel better about myself and/or because I fear the fine from the nosy Geneva rubbish inspector. Engineers on the other hand don’t normally do it for me - but there are always exceptions. 

So I thought I’d make a compilation of the Solar Impulse Greatest Hits - the things I personally get a kick out of, enough propel me out of bed at two in the morning ready for a 24 hour working day. And it’s not just to convince myself, I promise.  

1. The notion of perpetual flight (as much of the science bit as I'll ever manage:)

The Solar Impulse HB SIA plane can fly day and night without fuel, relying on the power of the sun alone. When it soars above the clouds during the day the solar cells covering the wings charge fully so that by the time the sun goes down the plane has enough power to fly through the night until first light, when the cells begin to once again generate power. Were it not for the fact that there is no auto pilot for a helping hand during nap time the aircraft could go on flying – well, indefinitely. Forever even. You could LIVE up there, above the clouds, chasing the sun. I think that is officially far out. 



(c) Catherine Humphrey

     2.  These people are hardcore
  
Ten years ago Bertrand Piccard and Andre Borschberg decided that they wanted to fly around the world, without fuel - and they came up with the idea of a solar plane as a means to achieving that dream. They approached light aircraft and glider manufactures, who swiftly came back with the response, are you out of your mind? And never was a question more on the money. 

These two men are out of their minds. But it works. They decided that if they wanted to make a solar plane they’d just have to do it themselves – hand picking a team of 80 technicians and engineers, and getting a YACHT maker on board, they came up with the flying machine, proving all the nay sayers wrong.
  
And when I say these guys are intense, I’m not the only one – watch this report by CBS news – go to 1 min 26 and look at the way Bertrand stares a second too long at the camera. THAT is what makes Solar Impulse work. 


And, yes this man - a former shrink - claims he gets through the longest flights thanks to self-hypnosis. His body is at rest but his mind is awake. Work that one out.   


   3. The stupid questions


People refrain from asking the obvious questions out of fear it will make them look stupid. That’s fine by me as I already know that I’m in way over my head with Solar Impulse anyway, so I'm game. Please, if you have any, send them in! I'll happily ask what Andre’s having for tea up there, how they negotiate going to the loo, their favorite songs to sing whilst cruising above the clouds (Last year Leonard Cohen proved surprisingly popular). Ask away!

4. Finally when ends are frazzled and the going gets tough, I take a listen to this:





Right I should get back to fact cramming, 

Fondest Regards,

Helena 

No comments:

Post a Comment